Registration & Cancellation Policies for Paddling Tours
- Full payment is due upon registration for a tour.
- For cancellations received 7 days or more before your scheduled activity, we will issue a refund less a 10% registration fee.
- For cancellations received fewer than 7 days before your scheduled activity, we are unable to offer any refunds.
- Tours may be cancelled due to inclement weather at our option, with a full refund given. No refunds will be offered if we decide to hold the tour.
- A minimum number of registrants is required for any event to run. If we cancel a tour due to low enrollment, we will provide a full refund.
- Each participant will be required to sign a waiver of liability. To save time, you can download this waiver and bring it with you.
Release and Waiver of Liability -- Complete Before Arrival
Please read the release over carefully and give us a call or e-mail if you have any questions.
You are required to wear a mask on land, while getting into and out of your boat and on the water when distancing is not an option. You can take off your mask while paddling. We recommend bringing an extra mask in a ziploc bag in case yours gets wet.
You will be expected to get on and off the water without physical assistance from our staff, we will provide verbal tips and demonstrate how to do it. We also have boat hooks that will help stabilize the boat.
All of our lifejackets, boats, boards and paddles are cleaned after every use.
Directions and Check-In
Your tour will meet at Charles River Canoe & Kayak's location in Kendall Square in Cambridge. Our web page includes a map and directions
via car or public transit. Please use public transportation or park in the parking garage (fee charged — view the parking rates
Please check in at the rental trailer when you arrive for your tour. Plan to arrive 10 minutes before your tour is scheduled to begin.
What To Wear and Bring
On warm days in the middle of the summer, you will probably be comfortable in shorts and a T-shirt. Bring a fleece, sweatshirt, or sweater in case you become chilled (especially if it's an evening tour), and a windbreaker in case it's breezy. Bug repellent is also a good idea.
If it's cooler, you will want clothing you can layer for warmth, including a top layer that will protect you from the wind. Jeans, sweatshirts, fleece sweaters, windbreakers or light parkas are good layering options. If it is very cool or windy, gloves and a hat are also a good idea.
If you wear glasses, a retaining strap is a good idea. Retaining straps can be purchased at our Waltham Shop or at many sporting goods stores.
Bring drinking water (very important on warm days and longer tours) and snacks to take with you on the water.
If heavy rain, thunder, or lightning is in the forecast, your tour may be cancelled. Cancellation decisions are made 2 hours before the tour is scheduled to begin, and we will contact all customers via phone and e-mail if we do cancel the event. You can also visit our Event Status web page
to determine whether your tour has been cancelled.
Cell Phones and Smoking
Charles River Canoe & Kayak operates all of our events in a smoke-free environment. We also ask that all of our participants refrain from cell phone use during their event. Your cooperation is appreciated and will contribute to the comfort of all our guests.