Registration & Cancellation Policies for Run of the Charles Rentals
- Reservations are required for all Run of the Charles race rentals. No day-of-race rentals will be available.
- All rentals for the Run of the Charles will be processed through our online reservation system.
- The rental fee is refundable up to 7 days before the race, less a 10% reservation fee. If cancellation of the rental occurs with less than one week's notice, the rental fee is forfeited.
- In the event the race is cancelled, we will refund the rental fee less a 10% registration fee.
- Your credit card number will be held as a deposit. Renters are responsible for all damage beyond normal wear and tear.
- Each person who will use the boat during the race must sign a waiver and release of liability. Download the release from our web site and distribute it to your team members so you can turn in the completed forms when you pick up your boat.
- Rentals includes one paddle and life jacket per paddler (two per canoe or double kayak; one per single kayak). Additional paddles and life jackets may be added during the reservation process.
- All paddlers will be required to wear a life jacket at all times while on the water.
- The availability of specific kayak models is limited. Call (617) 965-5110 to discuss availability of specific kayaks, including racing kayaks. Requests for specific boat models are not guaranteed until we confirm.
Release and Waiver of Liability -- Complete Before Arrival
Each person who will use the boat during the race
must sign a waiver and release of liability before participating in this event. A copy of the release can be downloaded from our web page
Please read the release over carefully and give us a call or e-mail if you have any questions. Distribute this release form to all your team members and bring the team's completed waivers when you pick up your boat at the race start.
This Boat Is Susceptible to Damage -- Use Caution
The boat you have reserved for this race is a high-performance boat made of lightweight materials. These materials are more susceptible to damage than our other rental boats made of polyethylene. In addition, the thin gel-coat finish of these boats is fragile.
As the renter, you are responsible for any damage beyond normal wear and tear. Such damage includes, but is not limited to, cracks in the hull, and chips and gouges through the boat's finish.
To avoid such damage to the boat, we recommend that you use caution, especially when entering and exiting the boat near shore.
If you are transporting the boat yourself, it may be picked up at our Waltham Paddling Store at 160 Riverview Ave after 4:00pm the day before the race and should be returned by Noon on the day after the race. Our web page includes a map and driving directions
If your boat will be delivered to the DCR RT. 30 Parking lot for the 12-mile race or 14-mile relay, you can pick it up adjacent to the race registration booth beginning at 8am.
If your boat will be delivered to Herter Park for the 3 or 6-mile race, you can pick it up near the starting line beginning at 8:30.
If we are taking back your boat at the finish line (Herter Park), you must return your boat to the Charles River Canoe & Kayak tent by 3:00pm. Early returns are appreciated.
What Is Included
Included with the rental of each boat are life jackets and paddles for each paddler. Additional paddles and life jackets can be requested for a small charge.
Your credit card number will be held as a deposit. If you do not pay by credit card, we will require a check or signed credit card imprint for the amount indicated on our off-site-rental web page
for the boat type you reserved.
Renters are responsible for repair costs for all structural damage. This includes deep scratches, chips, and gouges through the boat's finish. Deposits will be returned when you return your boat, so long as the boat is returned in good condition.