Registration & Cancellation Policies for Paddling Classes and Trips
- Full payment is due upon registration for a class, clinic, or trip.
- For cancellations received 7 days or more before your scheduled activity, we will issue a refund less a 10% registration fee.
- For cancellations received fewer than 7 days before your scheduled activity, we are unable to offer any refunds.
- Classes, clinics, and trips always run unless the weather is extreme.
- A minimum number of registrants is required for any event to run. If we cancel an event due to low enrollment, we will provide a full refund.
- Each participant will be required to sign a waiver of liability. To save time, you can download this waiver and bring it with you.
Release and Waiver of Liability -- Complete Before Arrival
Please read the release over carefully and give us a call or e-mail if you have any questions.
Directions and Check-In
Your class will meet at the newton Historic Boathouse at 2401 Comm. Ave. in Newton, MA. Please follow this link for a map and directions
Plan to arrive 15 minutes before your class is scheduled to begin.
What To Wear and Bring
During your SUP class, you should expect to go in the water. You will want to wear a swimsuit and/or shorts on the bottom, and a T-shirt or long-sleeve shirt on top depending on the temperature.
On your feet, wear neoprene booties, aqua socks, water sports sandals (e.g. Tevas), or old sneakers. Booties are available for sale in our Paddling Store on Comm. Ave in Newton.
On your head, wear a hat you don't mind getting wet. If you wear glasses, a retaining strap (available at our Paddling Store or at any sporting goods store) is required.
There's little shade on the water, so wear sunglasses with a retaining strap and sunscreen, even if it's cloudy.
Bring a towel and a change of clothes to wear after class.
You are required to wear a mask on land, while getting into and out of your boat and on the water when distancing is not an option. You can take off your mask while paddling. We recommend bringing an extra mask in a ziploc bag in case yours gets wet.
You will be expected to get on and off the water without physical assistance from our staff, we will provide verbal tips and demonstrate how to do it. We also have boat hooks that will help stabilize the boat.
All of our lifejackets, boats, boards and paddles are cleaned after every use.
Paddling can be done in almost any weather, and, accordingly, we run classes rain or shine. Only in the case of extreme weather conditions, such as a thunderstorm, will we not go on the water. Cancellation decisions are made 2 hours before the class is scheduled to begin, and we will contact all customers via phone and e-mail if we do cancel the event.
Cell Phones and Smoking
Charles River Canoe & Kayak operates all of our events in a smoke-free environment. We also ask that all of our participants refrain from cell phone use during their event. Your cooperation is appreciated and will contribute to the comfort of all our guests.